Sunday, January 11, 2009

Day Seven

One full week. Wow. Time flies with the absence of 2 feet of snow. Today began especially well with a 10am call time rather than a bleary-eyed 8am. Prof Ubels began our morning with a mind-stretching discussion on Christianity and Leisure. As Christians, how do we view play? How should we feel about it? What is acceptable for us as Christians to participate in for our play/leisure time? Having all read up on the subject, the conversation stirred us to take a closer look at what we do for leisure and whether it edifies others and glorifies Christ. Many of us were hit by the topic. All of us participate in play and leisure to some extent but never really thought about it. At first glance, Christianity and leisure seem to be incomensurable. Many believe that Christians should live a sacrificail life where all efforts are directed toward the glorification of God. However, GOD RESTED! He tolied for 6 days creating the universe, but on that 7th day, he say back in his easy chair, put up the foot rest, and (I'm sure) watched some Scrubs to mellow out. As Christ followers, we need joy in our lives and rest. It's not a suggestion. God wants us to rest and play. And I say, "Thats cool God. If you really want me to, I guess I'll take a load off." Following this, Prof VanderLinde lead us in some great praise & worship right next to the pool. What a great start to the day!

Then...off to the beach. We all piled into the vans and headed to a local beach where fun and excitment were plentiful. Several of us walked along to a beach side bazzar where local artists and craftmakers exhibited their works for sale. It was a very exciting and truly "floridian". Continuing on our merry way, we stopped and got some really delicious ice cream considering the balmy 78 degrees. On the walk back to our beach spot, Devin and others were intently looking for great sea shells. It was a great walk.

Dinner was super, scrumptious, and sustiaining for our long week of sailing ahead. Tomorrow we will be learning about the onboard radios in the morning. In the afternoon, we will be on the FJs (flying juniors) again doing some more advanced capsizing techniques while getting more experiance with tacking and jibing. I can't wait!

Many of the group went out after dinner to do some laundry. Great times were had by all. A few of the group (Annica, Abigail, and Chrysta) went downtown for some italian food and excitment. Others got some pizza becasue no matter how good, its still dining hall food. I can't wait for the next two weeks. I have never felt so in tune with myself. I have not felt this connection with God in a very long time. The peace and serenity I feel cannot be described. I hope that the next 14 days will pass as slow as molasses in the unbearable cold that is Grand Rapids.

No comments:

Post a Comment