Sunday, January 11, 2009

fantastic florida feelings...

Thank you to the lovely boys in Room 116 who have so kindly started and maintained this blog!

It seems as if the activities that this group has been involved in are being well articulated and updated in this blog. So, I'll change it up a bit...

I will talk about my feelings over the past week. :)

When we arrived in Florida on Monday, I was exhausted (after having arrived at the Grand Rapids airport at 5:30am running on less than 3 hours of sleep). However, I was ecstatic in anticipation for what was to come! It was a gorgeous day...seventy some degrees. It probably helped that I convinced myself prior to departure that the weather would be in the forty's all month (to ensure I would not be disappointed). To top it off, we ate lunch at Chipotle--does it get better than that?! Arrival at the hotel and our first time at Eckerd College was wonderful as well. Everything (including the dining hall food) was better than expected.

During our first week in St. Petersburg, I (over and over) had overwhelming feelings of peace and joy. Sounds cliché, but last week, at the end of each day, I could not help but be immersed by the surroundings and activities we have been given the opportunity to be a part of. It really does not get any better than sailing all day in the sun, reflecting on God's creation, building relationships with amazing people, eating at amazing restaurants in downtown St. Petersburg, hot tubbing after dinner, evening running, and having nothing but the breeze to worry about.

I have also thoroughly enjoyed the sailing terminology jokes and conversations that have become a regular part of our dialogue. Especially when we are driving our twelve passenger vans, a little car cuts us off on the on-ramp, and someone shouts “STARBOARD! We have the right of way!” Simply warms my heart…‘tis wonderful.

So…I love being here…I love the gorgeous weather, the marvelous people, the great hotel, the SAILBOATS, the seamen (and women) jokes, the creative games, and the endless laughs. Ahhh…(sigh of contentment).

Pictures anyone?
Devin, Abigail, Annica, and Chrysta on the way to Ceviche (an amazing Tapas Resturaunt)
Practicing Nautical Knots in the Classroom
Professor Scotty (my dad!)
Scott's Thursday Crew: Rachel, Patty, Annica, and Ben
Captain Richard's boat on Thursday: Craig, Stacey, Derek, and Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment