Lunchtime allowed us a quick trip back to the hotel to supplement our layers, and mine totaled six shirts and jackets, three pairs of pants, and three pairs of socks (has my blood really thinned that much in the span of ten days?). Sacrificing agility for warmth (I couldn't really bend my arms, but I could feel them--much more important), I finally felt adequately ready to face the weather once again. The wind continued, and because of it we had a spectacular day of sailing with our warmer vestments to ward off the cold. As helmsperson, I did my best to channel the sailing spirit by sounding remarkably stern every once and awhile, and attempted to bellow instructions at my crew ("TRIM THAT JIB" or "CENTER THAT TRAVELER") with some hearty "arrrr"s at the end, but everyone just stared at me skeptically and lightly adjusted whatever I had suggested. I'm still mastering the whole intimidation thing.
At the end of the day, Professor Vander Linde remarked that today's escapades resembled a typical day of sailing on Lake Michigan. With that, I think the majority of our class swore off sailing in Lake Michigan in their lifetimes. Here's hoping for warmth and thawed appendages by tomorrow.
You need not fear Lake Michigan, Devin. Yes, we do have chilly, cloudy days on Lake Michigan, especially in spring and fall, but I think Scott was referring to the wind and waves that we experienced on the open waters of Tampa Bay this afternoon. That was more like Lake Michigan than the inland lake-like conditions in the practice area. We have many spectacular, warm days on Lake Michigan in the summer.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting the great pics. The one of the Catalina beating to windward really captures today's conditions well. I almost put my jacket on in my room when I saw it!
I hope someone posts a video of yesterday's dolphins.
John