I am exhausted. Today's sailing experience exacted all of my mental and physical energy. I know that Annica already posted about the unbelievable phenomenon of roll tacking, but seriously, folks, it really is such a big deal that it warrants a few more posts. I have pulled, jumped, ducked, grabbed, and grunted more times than I can count.
Instead of rambling on, though, today I think I'll just let you see what we're experiencing here for yourselves. Here's a video of Nicki, senior at Eckerd, member of Eckerd's sailing team, and assuredly the meanest student instructor we have, explaining roll tacking in class today. Don't be fooled by her petite size--Nicki has been sailing competitively since the 4th grade and eats newbie sailor-types like us for breakfast. This is the woman who heckles us on the water, hollers humiliating names at us, and forces us to do push-ups if we ever let go of the tiller. Yet we all inexplicably love and adore her nonetheless. Seriously--when we see her in the dining hall, we are prone to wave animatedly and yelp her name like elementary school kids at summer camp fawning over their camp counselor.
If everything she says in this video flies over your head, don't be surprised; we certainly felt the same way.
No comments:
Post a Comment